Services by definition are an act of helpful activity / help / aid OR to do someone a service.
Service definition enables both the customer and the service provider to know what to expect and not expect from a service. Clearly defined services enable customers to understand service offerings, including what each service does and does not include, eligibility, service limitations, cost, how to request services, and how to get help.
University of California set “Five key questions must be answered when defining a service”:
- What is the service, and how do I get it? (Service Description)
- How do I get help? How do I use the service? (Help and Self-Service)
- What Does It Cost? (Service Cost and Pricing)
- How does ITS support this service? (Service Support)
- How does ITS provide this service? (Service Delivery)